I give a lot of fucks. And I like giving fucks. But you have to learn to give a fuck about the right fucking things.
So here's some background. Recently my brother has got it into his head that he doesn't give a fuck about other people and he doesn't want them to give a fuck about him. He wants to get on with his shit and do whatever the hell he wants. This is all well and good until his not giving any fucks starts to hurt other people. He seems to be unable to determine this line or rather unwilling to acknowledge there even is a line.
I even more recently discovered a subreddit /r/howtonotgiveafuck, which is humorous and enlightening. It promotes not caring what people think whether good or bad. For example, if someone has a problem with you. Don't worry about it. It's there problem not yours. Similarly, if someone doesn't like the movie you just watched as much as you. Don't worry about it. It's there problem not your. Bottom line: don't give any fucks.
They also have Project Mayhem tasks which I like because they put me out of my comfort zone which I think is an important exercise to partake in. The first one was to order a Big Mac in a place which is so obviously not McDonald's. I chose Greggs (bakery). Initially this task stressed me out because of the atypical situation I would create. But I sucked it up and did it and I feel pretty damn good about myself!
However, after recently watching Crazy, Stupid, Love a movie about -you guessed it- love. I realised that there are times when it is far better to give fucks. There are things that matter and things that don't. Most people never learn to recognise the difference.
So instead of me not giving any fucks or giving too many fucks. I am going to try to learn when it is appropriate and when it is not.
No comments:
Post a Comment