Sunday, 1 August 2010

With a little bit of luck

Just watched Sherlock Holmes 2009, (omg Downey Jr. *melts*) and I noticed something about myself. This one guy dies in a bath because "suposedly" the antagonist uses black magic to....drown/burn him, it's weird, but not very nice. And I thought to myself, brilliant now I'll be scared of getting in the bath.
However, towards the end as Holmes was explaining the whole plot, it turned out it was just some chemical reaction with the copper bath that paralysed him and he drowned in the bath. And for some reason, I was comforted by this. Why?
Because, I was scared of the unexplained and the fact that the antagonist could hurt people without touching them. BUT what is the actual difference? Both explanations can be done without me being touched and both are just as lethal. So practically the only reason I was worried was the fact that I didn't know how it was happening. This explains so much about me and human nature, the reason why I'm scared of space - because I can't explain it. Same with death, it's unexplained. So is this why people are comforted by religion? Because they have an explanation? It's a theory, so is a metbhod of overcoming a fear of death to adopt a religion. And is that all religion is? Just a way to comfort ourselves?
I don't think I've realised anything here that countless humans before me haven't, but just through this example I've come to understand it a bit more.

I want to marry Downey Jr. :3
Rhubarb
xx (I'm going to stick with two because soon it's going to get ridiculous.)

No comments:

Post a Comment